Monday, May 01, 2006

Sign me Up.

I finally met my neighbors.

Something I've been avoiding because I'm a pretty private person when it comes to my home. My home's my sanctuary and I don't really want total strangers involved in what I do on a daily basis.

Plus, I knew they were older/retired and looking to fix me up with a bunch of the neighbor boys (i'm taken, thank you) when they solicited my mom for information one day when she was outside.

"Hurry Sami. Don't Look. Just get. In. The Car. Go..."

She wasn't wrong...
They are of the "grade A, run-of-the-mill Gladys Kravitz" species.

I came home from work on Friday, blaring Kelly Clarkson and intending to do a quick clothes change, then load Bela into the car to go to the dog park.

One track mind: Dog Park. Dog Park. Dog Park. Dog Park.

"Your dog got tangled up."

What...? Where did that come from?

I look up and my next door neighbor is leaning up against his fence.

"Ooooh... Hi. Have you been the sneaky guy snowblowing my sidewalks and bringing my trash in?"

"Oh yeah.. yeah... it's nice to finally meet you!"

Yeah. Easy to meet when you're sitting outside waiting for me to come home.

Not to mention the fact that he was just in my backyard with my dog, retying her up. I appreciate it, because she was uncomfortable, and I love that people are watching out for her... but jeez...

I was planning on an in-and-out, quick introduction... but then his wife came out, and they talked about how great Heather was (the girl who owned the house before me) and how she loved their flowers and how she had a great dog and how heather did this and heather did that...

"Yeah, well it was great to meet you... I actually--"

"Yeah... Heather used to stare out her window while washing dishes and admire my flower bed."

"Oh... yeah... that's... great!"

How do people miss the bow-out sentence in conversations? I"m a master of this. Everyone always gets it. I even turn to walk away from the conversation...

But these guys just...kept...talking.

After about 40 minutes (i'm not even exagerating) I finally got out of my driveway.





Which is why, I'm saying... Whoever is in charge of my karma and special powers... sign me up for Samantha Steven's nose twitching abilities.

I have:

*:: A Cute Nose
*:: The Name Samantha (I'll find a man with the last name Stevens, if need be).
*:: A Cat
*:: The willing drive to succeed as a Mortal
*:: Not one, but TWO Gladys Kravitz Neighbors
*:: A very expansively bizarre family.

Come on. Help a sista' out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home