Thursday, October 12, 2006

Socks

I remember in 7th grade, the hip thing was to have every kind/color of sock possible. You can ask MMM - because along with being one of my major music influences and one of my best 7th grade friends - she was the hip chic wearing the sweetest socks in town.

I must have convinced my mom that i really needed new socks, because I went through a phase where I had rainbow toe socks, bugs bunny socks (which were awesome because they had tread on the bottom in the shape of bunny feet), heart socks, christmas tree socks, pumpkin socks, santa clause socks, green socks, yellow socks, blue socks, red socks, every damn colored sock under the sun.

Then I entered my obsessive work out phase all through sophomore year of high school through the end of college and all my color got wiped out for white - mostly because, when your feet get sweaty from running, they turn whatever color of sock you're wearing - and since I'm Irish and pretty much the color of fish belly - it made sense to stick with plane jane mcgee.

I attained a pair here and there along the way -- one pair of maroon fuzz socks from my Big Sis in pi phi that i wore til they were completely holed out - then some netted tights that i made into thigh highs after my butt got too big for the britches (ok... i bought a small on accident, instead of a large for my big girl butt).

I've stolen a pair of green fleeces from my mom, and my aunt lisa left my very favorite pair (really, really ridiculously THICK grey socks that strech up to your knees) at my first apartment in Denver when she helped me move all of my giant "Bitch Pieces*."

Now I'm left without - and so I generally go for flips - but now it's f'ing FREEZING outside, and now I'm reminded of how much I love shimmy-ing across my hardwoods/tile floors in big, wooley socks.

So just like everything else in life that makes me happy, I want more.

And beecause it's winter, and it's perfect weather for scarfs, cute coats, mittens and yes... SOCKS!


Along with this obscenely boring subject (i was GETTING TO THE POINT!), I also remember doing a "pretty panty exchange" with all of my aunts/cousins/sisters/friends when i was young.

You recieve a list of girls names on a list in the mail, and the top most person gets five pairs of pretty panties on you. It may sound like a lot, but when you only have to do it once (you may get cycled back through...) - it's really not a big deal.
"
So *ahem* -- MY POINT: I'd love to revive the "Pretty Panty Exchange," but rather than panties - I'd like to exchange socks - and I'm calling the gesture... "Winter Socks Appeal."

If anyone is interested, please e-mail me for details/instructions, and we'll get this bitch started.

Don't deny the socks, people. Because if you do, I'll just start it on my own with family i know that will participate, and you'll miss out on FREE SOCKS!

It's a fun way to spread the karma, and get cool stuff in the mail.

And who doesn't love getting packages?
I know your toes do...

*[Bitch Piece: (n): really obscenely akward or heavy furniture that is a "bitch" to carry up three flights of stairs (ex. 1950s desk, 1980s tv entertainment center, queen-sized, wobbly mattress).

In a Sentence: "Let's go with the Bitch Piece!" (followed by grunting and extreme lack of motivation because you're laughing so hard.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home